Please download here the candidate petition form, print, complete, sign and place in the mail.Click Here
I am running for Mayor of Miami-Dade County because politics cannot continue to be above the priorities of the taxpayer. Business as usual at county hall can’t continue for Miami-Dade to prosper and our citizens to have the quality of life they deserve. My candidacy is based on conservative principles to protect taxpayer dollars, ensure transparency, fairness, and fiscal responsibility. Make no mistake, my administration will not serve the interests of the extreme liberals that are looking to redefine America and in the process increase Miami-Dade government on the back of its taxpayers.
As a County Commissioner, I have successfully pushed through some reforms but many more are needed. I’ve fought for real change, at times being the lone voice. In the “Accomplishments” section of this site you will see a full list, but I’ll share some highlights here. I am proud of spearheading the effort to finally approve term limits for the county commission and of sounding the alarm on how contracts are awarded at Miami International Airport in a corrupt manner. I worked to reform County Employee Benefits and Retirement to reflect fairness and equity in what taxpayers can afford.
The next Mayor of Miami-Dade County needs to be committed to moving the country forward with courageous and innovative reforms. At the forefront of every county initiative, proposal, bid, contract, ordinance and project must be demanding transparency and efficiency to protect the taxpayer from unethical practices, waste and abusive taxes. If an initiative does not meet that criteria at the onset, it will be dead on arrival under my administration.
We cannot afford to go back to the days when Miami-Dade was a national laughing stock because of the rampant corruption that existed in our county. The days when a select few used their access to County Hall to enrich themselves at the expense of Miami-Dade County’s residents. In short, cronyism and corruption will be replaced by transparency and accountability.
I am very aware that this is not an easy endeavor. We are disrupting the interests of some very deep pockets with radical agendas. However, I have no doubt that this is the correct course for the future of our county to be truly prosperous for its residents. The platform below demonstrates my commitment to conservative and effective governance for families and taxpayers.
–Esteban “Steve’ Bovo, Jr.
THE VISION AND COMMITMENT TO MOVE MIAMI-DADE FORWARD
- Oppose and veto any effort that increases property taxes and/or seeks to raise the millage rate.
- Eliminate cronyism and “pay to play” culture that has corrupted contracts, such as Miami International Airport.
- Govern with integrity by keeping the promises made to our residents.
- Eliminate NO bid contracts, by requiring transparency and fairness in the procurement process.
- Oppose all managed toll lanes on 826 (the Palmetto).
- Keep our neighborhoods and schools safe.
- Protect our Beaches and Everglades for our quality of life and prosperity.
- Work with the State and Federal partners to address water quality issues; and put forth a serious transit expansion plan.
- Advocated with success for the largest tax cut in Miami-Dade history.
- Reformed the county pension program to reflect what taxpayers could afford.
- Led the charge against taxpayer subsidies for stadium construction.
- Supported a collaborative initiative called “Operation Blue and Brown” to strengthen community and police partnerships.
- Advocated for the installation of a program titled “Shot Spotter Technology” to assist law enforcement with detecting gun shots in real time.
- Worked with community organizations to provide support to neighborhoods directly affected by gun violence.
GOOD GOVERNMENT & VALUES
- Led the effort to place term limits on County Commissioners.
- Authored and passed legislation that would prohibit the opening of the Cuban Embassy in Miami-Dade.
- Authored legislation creating the Cuban Exile museum.
- Authored and passed legislation condemning Airbnb for anti-Semitic practices.
- Filed Resolution supporting the US Embassy in Israel moving to Jerusalem.
- Filed Resolution condemning efforts to boycott Israel.
- Launched the Annual Chairman’s Resiliency Conference in order to address climate change impacts upon our county.
- Authored and passed legislation creating the Opioid Task force to adopt best practices.
- Support Congressional efforts to require Holocaust Survivors to receive benefits from policies purchased during the era.
- Endorsed the expansion of F.I.U. to create better job and education opportunities in our county.
- Authored and passed legislation to bring Uber and Lyft to Miami Dade.
- Supported the State Legislature’s effort to eliminate and replace MDX.
- Supported the creation of the Kendall Parkway to provide relief for West Kendall residents.
- Authored and passed legislation that requires redirecting nearly $1 billion towards the original promises of the People’s Transportation Plan (PTP).
- Created the Transportation Infrastructure Improvement District that will generate $1.8 billion in funds, without increasing taxes, for Transportation.
- Sponsored county resolution asking the Florida Legislature to eliminate toll roads on 826 (the Palmetto).
- Authored and passed legislation launching 11 SMART Plan demonstration projects that will help enhance current and future transit service throughout Miami Dade.
- Authored and passed legislation that allocated approximately $8 billion over 40 years for transportation infrastructure, creating a long term strategy for the future of mobility within our county.
- Authored and passed legislation prioritizing the North and South corridors of the SMART Plan for development and construction of new transportation options for our residents.
- Supported legislation to create better and smarter light synchronization and intersections throughout Miami Dade.
BOVO ON THE ISSUES
Steve Bovo’s 4×4 Plan to move Miami-Dade forward.
Four priorities, Four years.
The roadmap for Steve Bovo’s first four years as Mayor of Miami-Dade County contains four main priorities with sixteen objectives to move Miami-Dade County forward. The 4×4 Plan follows Steve’s guiding leadership principles of fiscal responsibility, government transparency, and improving public trust of government.
Improve Residents Quality of Life
- Identify solutions for our existing services and infrastructure before problems arise.
- Ensure Miami-Dade County excels at its fundamental responsibilities of proper water management and protecting our water resources.
- Invest in new infrastructure to make our community resilient to sea-level rise.
- Protect the health and well-being of our aging populations.
Stimulate Small Business
- Repeal burdensome regulations that negatively impact small businesses.
- Create rotating satellite permitting services to expedite the permitting process for small businesses throughout the County.
- Invest in affordable and workforce housing to attract and retain young and talented workers.
- Support signature events and attractions that will give us a strong and robust economy for businesses and jobs.
Promote Safe Communities
- Focus our efforts on building bridges between residents and those who are sworn to protect and serve.
- Support municipalities to develop or expand their police body cameras practices.
- Research, assess, and implement new crime-fighting technologies to assist law enforcement.
- Invite Federal, State, County, and School Board officials to the table to provide the best and safest education for our students.
Implement Effective Transportation Initiatives
- Ensure public dollars generated for transportation infrastructure improvements are utilized towards their intended purpose.
- Fight against unnecessary toll increases while working to reduce or eliminate tolls.
- Promote development along the SMART Plan transit corridors and away from the Urban Development Boundary (UDB).
- Work to properly link the County’s major transportation centers while seeking investment through Public Private Partnerships.
INFORMATION GUIDE AND RESOURCES ON COVID-19
HEALTH INFORMATION ON COVID-19
- Updated information about COVID-19 – Updated COVID-19 information
- How does COVID-19 spread? – Spread of COVID-19
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19? COVID-19 symptoms
- How can I prevent COVID-19? COVID-19 prevention
- What can I do to slowdown the spread of COVID-19? 15 days to slow the spread of COVID-19 (PDF)
- Prevention measures and recommended precautions for COVID-19 Preventive measures and recommended precautions
- Frequently asked questions about COVID-19 – Frequently asked questions about COVID-19
- Precautions for travelers arriving in the United States from high-risk countries Precautions for travelers returning from high risk countries
- How can I help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases such as COVID-19? Stop the spread of germs
- How can I prepare my workplace for COVID-19? https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3990.pdf
- General Practices to Help Prevent Exposure to COVID-19 at Work – Help prevent exposure to COVID-19 at work
- How do I stay healthy and help stop the spread of COVID-19? Stay healthy and help stop the spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Self-Checker – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/index.html#cdc-chat-bot-open
- How do I avoid getting sick? – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/index.html
- Frequently asked questions about COVID-19 https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
- Valuable information about COVID-19 from the Florida Department of Health in English, Spanish and Creole. https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/resources/#toolkitJump
- COVID-19 Testing Locations in Miami-Dade County https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/home.page
- CDC videos in American Sign Language (ASL) with subtitles:
- If you recently lost your job and need to file for unemployment assistance. http://www.floridajobs.org/Reemployment-Assistance-Service-Center/reemployment-assistance/claimants
Relief Programs for Small Businesses
- Frequently asked questions about the Payroll Protection Program Payroll Protection Program for Small Businesses
- How to find a Lender for the Payroll Protection Program? https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/paycheck-protection-program
Federal SBA Loan Programs for Small Business
- https://www.sba.gov/disaster-assistance/coronavirus-covid-19 – section-header-1
State of Florida Bridge Loans
- The Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program to help business impacted by the coronavirus. http://www.floridadisasterloan.org/
- For the latest information on the federal impact payments. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
- Frequently asked questions about the federal impact payments. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
- Food Assistance in the State of Florida https://www.fdacs.gov/Food-Nutrition/Nutrition-Programs/The-Emergency-Food-Assistance-Program-TEFAP?fbclid=IwAR3iuoJZYK0T84EkxlhysV7Ooi7RWik9Pndy49SayXfRj3h4UsPBMZCrtO0
- South Florida Food Pantry https://feedingsouthflorida.org/benefits-emergency-services/
- Meals on Wheels for Seniors https://www.mowsoflo.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2LfAwKzC6AIV0oNaBR1CswncEAAYAiAAEgKulvD_BwE
2020 ELECTION:Primary Election is August 18th
On the Miami-Dade County Election Website you will find information on voter registration, locations to register, voting options, voting locations, key dates to remember for upcoming elections and much more.
The Elections Department is here to serve you! Please do not hesitate to email the Elections Department with your questions and suggestions, or call 3-1-1 for additional information.